Today while I was grocery shopping, a chore I truly dislike, I got really excited about the upcoming holidays. Of course the store was crowded but there was excitement in the air. I love when all the baking stuff goes on sale and turkeys are in the overflowing in the meat section. I got most of the stuff I need for Thanksgiving but of course I will be at the store Tues or Wed getting my last minute stuff. While I was there, I was looking at the toys for Christmas presents for the girls and all the while I was shopping, I was overcome with gratitude that we have money to buy our kids Christmas presents. I take that for granted for sure that Matt makes great money and we never have to question if there is money in the bank account. We are not loaded or anything but we definitely are comfortable and I really appreciate my husband for all the hard work he does, so we can have food in the fridge and can buy the things we need. It is truly a blessing. I think back to my childhood when we hardly had anything and wore the same clothes to school and got free lunches because we were so poor. I think of my mission in the DR where they had SO little, not even the comforts we take for granted here, like running water and electricity. I am still grateful for those things and will never not appreciate them. But my kids will never know that kind of poverty (hopefully) and I am glad for that. I still want them to be aware of people who don't have the nice things they do and be grateful for the things they have. I wish I could take them to the DR and let them see the kids who play with sticks and water bottle tops as their only toys or to Africa to see the kids who don't even have food to eat, or even to a local homeless shelter to see how those people live so that when they don't want to eat what I make them, they can remember that there are people who don't have anything. But my gratitude today is aimed at what we do have and it is a lot. All thanks to my good honey, Matt.
Thanks honey!
No comments:
Post a Comment